Saturday, January 16, 2010

Dynamic Stability Control (DCS) for Mini Coopers?

My 2003 Mini Cooper has Dynamic Stability Control and I was wondering when I should or shouldn't use it. I leave it on all the time but have the option of turning it off. What are the effects of turning it off?





I will be driving to the mountains for Christmas and the roads are going to be snowy and icey. Should I leave the DSC on or turn it off. Also, is there anything else I should know about driving my cooper in the mountains in the snow?Dynamic Stability Control (DCS) for Mini Coopers?
DSC is a safety feature that keeps your drive wheels from losing traction under hard acceleration, and also helps to keep your car more stable when cornering. It basically does for acceleration and cornering what ABS does for braking. You should absolutely use it if you're going to drive on slippery stuff.





I have a BMW M5, and the only bad thing about DSC on the M5 is that 400hp will spin the tires when accelerating hard; so even if you control your launch without spinning the tires, you have to ';granny shift'; to 2nd or DSC will engage and you'll feel like a skydiver who pulled the rip cord as the car jerks like the brakes were hit.





So, I drive with it ON most of the time, for the added safety in case I need to avoid a ladder on the freeway, and set it OFF when I get to a stoplight and a pesky Subaru WRX STi pulls up next to me revving his turbocharged go-fast toy... :-)Dynamic Stability Control (DCS) for Mini Coopers?
Leave. It. On. Turning it off gives you a slight boost in HP, but DSC basically takes power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip.





My xB has ESC (same thing) and it's done wonders in the snow for me - it in fact prevented me from rolling off the side of a narrow hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment